Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10216/103608
Author(s): P. T. B. S. Branco
R. A. O. Nunes
M. C. M. Alvim-Ferraz
F. G. Martins
C. Ferraz
L. G. Vaz
S. I. V. Sousa
Title: Asthma prevalence and risk factors in early childhood at Northern Portugal
Issue Date: 2016
Abstract: Asthma is the commonest and most important chronic non-infectious disease in childhood and it has become more prevalent in recent years. There is a shortage of studies in relation to early childhood and so, as part of the INAIRCHILD project, this cross-sectional study aimed to assess the prevalence of asthma and its associated risk factors, namely demographic, environmental, psychosocial and clinical factors for infants and preschoolers living in Northern Portugal. Data concerning asthma prevalence were collected through questionnaires based on those from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC-derived), the questionnaires were distributed to 1042 children attending the 17 nurseries involved in the INAIRCHILD project (10 in urban and suburban context, and 7 in rural context). The response rate was 48%. Prevalence of asthma based on symptomatology and odds ratio was calculated. Around 52% of the studied children presented at least one of the respiratory symptoms investigated (wheeze, dyspnea and cough) in the absence of upper respiratory infections. The prevalence of asthma was 10.7%, comparable to the figures for Portuguese schoolchildren (6-7 years old) reported by the national Directorate-General of Health, thus showing that an early diagnosis might be possible and helpful for the mitigation of childhood asthma. Environmental context (urban, suburban or rural), gender and family asthma history showed clear associations with asthma prevalence, namely non-rural location, male gender, and having an asthmatic parent were found to be risk factors. (c) 2015 Sociedade Portuguesa de Pneumologia.
URI: https://hdl.handle.net/10216/103608
Related Information: info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/FCT - Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia/Projectos de I&DT em Todos os Domínios Científicos/PTDC/SAU-SAP/121827/2010/Poluição do Ar Interior em infantários e escolas primárias: Impacte na Asma Infantil/INAIRCHILD
info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/FCT - Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia/Projetos Estratégicos/PEst-C/EQB/UI0511/2013/PROJECTO ESTRATÉGICO - UI 511 - 2013-2014/UI0511
info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/Autoriadade de Gestão do Programa Operacional Regional do Norte/Programas Integrados de IC&DT/NORTE-07-0124-FEDER-000025/(Bio) Chemical Engineering: Multi-Scale Approaches for Sustainable Environment and Health/LEPAE/CEFT - RL2
Document Type: Artigo em Revista Científica Internacional
Rights: restrictedAccess
Appears in Collections:FEUP - Artigo em Revista Científica Internacional

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
187243.1.pdfPost-Print version487.32 kBAdobe PDFThumbnail
View/Open
187243.pdf
  Restricted Access
Artigo original publicado476.32 kBAdobe PDF    Request a copy from the Author(s)


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.